Substitute (Certificated / Classified) Information
SLVUSD uses Frontline (formerly AESOP), which is a web-based, automated substitute teacher service provided by the Santa Cruz County Office of Education (SCCOE). To be a certificated substitute for SLVUSD, you must be registered with the SCCOE.
Prior to your first day of substituting for the District, you must contact the Human Resources Department to schedule an appointment to complete the District Certificated Substitute Packet. The Human Resources Department can be contacted by calling (831) 336-5193, ext. 121. This packet must be completed and handed into the Human Resources Department by the end of your first day working for the District in order to ensure payment for your services.
To be a certificated substitute you must possess a valid California Teaching Credential or qualify for a Substitute Teaching Permit (see below for requirements).
Requirements for the Emergency 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit:
- Possession of a Bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited university
- Passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Completed application form for a permit that can be obtained at the SCCOE. (Applicable document and fingerprint fees will apply)
Substitute Teacher Pay:
- $60 / 1/2 day (up to 3.5 hours)
- $110 / full day
- Long-term - $80 / 1/2 day (after 20 consecutive days retroactive to first day)
- Long-term - $160 / full day (after 20 consecutive days retroactive to the first day)
- Semester - Column II, Step 1 of the Certificated Salary Schedule if long-term sub assignment is scheduled for a semester or longer
SLVUSD is always interested in maintaining a list of qualified substitutes for food service, bus driver and custodial positions. Many of our substitutes are hired into permanent positions. If you are interested in being a substitute, please complete the following:
- Download the classified application from the website or pick one up at the Human Resources Department
- Return the completed application to the Human Resources Department
- All substitutes must be fingerprinted and supply the HR Department with documentation of a negative TB test
- Substitute payment is the appropriate range, Step 1 of the Classified Salary Schedule
SLVUSD's pay periods run from the 16th of one month to the 15th of the next month. Paychecks are issued on the last working day of each month after the pay period has ended.