As a public health agency, Santa Cruz County Mosquito and Vector Control would like to make sure our residents are informed and travel safely.
Zika virus is still spreading throughout many parts of Latin America and the Caribbean, including Mexico.
Zika is spread primarily through the bite of an infected mosquito, so we urge travelers to take precautions to avoid becoming infected:
– Use insect repellent (including DEET, picaridin, IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus—needs to be reapplied often)
– If using sunscreen, apply sunscreen first, then put on repellent.
– Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants if weather permits
– Use air conditioning or window/door screens to keep mosquitoes outside, or use a bed net if these options are not available.
– Help reduce the number of mosquitoes outside your home or hotel room by dumping standing water from containers like flowerpots or buckets.